ABOUT PLASMA VISCOMETRY
Benson Viscometers Ltd is a British company that manufactures, distributes and maintains a range of clinical viscometers, tuned to analyse blood plasma viscosity.
The range includes a fully automated walk away high volume analyser (BV200) capable of processing 60 samples per hour for large laboratories and a semi automated analyser (BV1) suitable for small laboratories performing up to 50 samples a day.
The company also supplies a full range of control and maintenance reagents to give operators confidence in their results.
For confidence in your results
An increasing number of laboratories are electing to use Plasma Viscosity routinely in preference to erythrocyte sedimentation testing (ESR). This is because Plasma Viscosity results are easier to interpret and results can be fully validated.
WHAT THE PROFESSIONALS SAY
“The Isle of Man was the first site worldwide to purchase a Benson Viscometer and both the instrument and company have come a long way since its inception. We turned our back on ESR’s over 30 years ago and our current Benson Viscometers perform over 20000 plasma viscosities per annum with very little downtime. Given our somewhat remote location accuracy, reliability and performance are vitally important and Benson Viscometers meet these requirements admirably.”
Paul Woods CSci FIBMS,Chief Biomedical Scientist, Haematology Dept., Noble’s Hospital, Isle of Man
SOME PLASMA VISCOMETRY FACTS
- Patient plasma viscosity (PV) is unaffected by patient anaemia or polycythaemia
- Samples can be analysed up to one week after centrifugation
- Test results are not affected by anti-inflammatory drugs
- Patient PV is not affected by age (>3 years), gender or smoking
- A rise of PV in the third trimester of pregnancy is predictable
- The only diagnostic test for plasma hyperviscosity